Monday, April 30, 2007

The Idiots of YouTube

Whenever I watch a YouTube video I like to quickly scan the first page of comments to see what other people have to say. Lately, ever time I take a quick glance at the comment thread I am cluttered by ridiculous chain letters.

Here is an example:

wwygmaya (1 day ago)
“PLEASE DON'T READ THIS you will die in seven days if you don't post this comment on 10 videos in the next hour. if you do, tomorrow will be the best day of your life.”

With YouTube’s growing popularity, its stupid people population has also grown. There are absolutely no motives for wwygmaya to post this, other than the fact that he or she believes it! The level of superstition people have really scares me. They are probably just falling for the Pascal’s Wager Paradox, which goes like this:

Just substitute the word ‘God’ with ‘The Chain Letter’
· You believe in God.
o If God exists, you go to heaven: your gain is infinite.
o If God does not exist, your loss is nothing!
· You do not believe in God.
o If God exists, you go to hell: your loss is infinite.
o If God does not exist, your gain nothing & lose nothing.

The biggest flaw with this wager is that it has to assume that believing the chain letter will grant you the rewards it promises. It is quite obvious that the chain letter should not be believed and I must conclude that the people who do believe them are plain idiots. Luckly, I know how to end this cycle of idiocy. I will submit my very own chain letter and believing in it will only negate all the other chain letters.

Here is goes:
PLEASE DON’T READ THIS YOU’LL REGRET IT! Your family will die in a car crash if you believe any other chain letter except for this one and you must post this in 10 other videos.

No comments: